If an energy-saving lamp breaks, the substances contained in it may escape into the room air.

 

In particular, mercury is a hazard to children, pregnant women and elderly people. Concentrations corresponding to a multiple of the guide value of 0.35 micrograms/cubic meter may develop rapidly. Pregnant women and children, but also people with health problems should stay away from broken lamps.

Mercury is a metal that is liquid at room temperature and that evaporates very easily and is present in gaseous form in the lamps, in particular during operation. Above all, such high concentrations occur quickly near the floor.

Exactly because of this hazard, broken lamps should be removed quickly and carefully. The affected areas should be thoroughly ventilated. It is best to use strong, tight rubber gloves to avoid cuts and skin contact. Remove the lamp residues completely from the house and apartment!